Thursday, April 4, 2013

Technoscape- "A Different Generation"

I wanted to visually represent the impact that technology has on today's society, furthermore, today's younger generation. As a child, I did grow up with technology, but it wasn't that important in my life. I can recall that I spent more hours outside playing with the neighborhood kids than I spent on playing with technology. This is not the case with today's young generation. They were born into a world where technology already existed and was constantly getting bigger and better; that was their norm more so than it was mine. I can't begin to explain how many times I have seen little kids playing games with touchscreen phones or tablets and then teach their parents how to use the device. The kid is like five years old! It all just profoundly amazes me. To continue, kids always know what and when the latest and greatest piece of technology is being released. They aren't happy unless they have what "everyone else" has. For this reason I decided to to a piece on the relation between kids and technology. So I chose a little boy wearing an angry birds hat (a game on the iPhone) crouching ironically outside while being surrounded by technology. The ice cream doesn't matter anymore since he's got an iPad placed in front of him now.

I think my piece conveys a happy mood when you first look at it because the kid is so adorable and happy (who could be upset when you see that). Once the piece is analyzed, the mood placed on the viewer suddenly becomes a sad feeling. The thought that a little child is more happy to be playing a computer game than playing outside and socializing with the other kids can really bring down the mood, which was what I was trying to convey. The kid is missing out on valuable experiences that he could be reminiscing about with his friends when he's older. You only have one childhood, why spend it doing something that you can do when you're older?

I did not appropriate images.

No comments:

Post a Comment