Monday, March 25, 2013

Performance Project- Creepin'


 For my performance I first decided to do a public piece. Many different ideas entered and exited my mind. Some ideas I just didn't have the right environment for and it wasn't until I decided to recreate a performance that we saw in class to know what I wanted to do. The piece that stuck in my head was the Proximity Piece by Vito Acconci. I thought it was really funny how he basically just wanted to make people feel uncomfortable enough to have to walk away from him.


I chose to do this performance at a high school play. I                 went to see Legally Blonde the Musical and during intermission was when I decided to get close to  people. The experience as a whole was very strange and something I don't think I would like to do again. It brought many laughs to me, but I also felt bad because the poor person had no clue what I was doing standing there so close to them. I felt like I was creeping on random people. Some people didn't react        o me standing there at all and some didn't even notice me.Others felt completely uncomfortable so they quickly found someone else to talk to and walked away. I got many weird looks from the people as well.
                                                

This project was a great way of showing how there is this unwritten rule where you have to give a person a certain amount of space. How close can I get to a person without them feeling uncomfortable? Where is that line? I think the majority of people have generally the same reaction to a certain point of closeness. Others have no idea and are just focused on something other than their surroundings, so they don't even notice the close proximity. There are many unwritten rules in the human social life; who are to know what those rules are unless one surpasses them and crosses that line? The question of proximity is just one of those unanswered questions, but a very important one that we must face everyday, once we enter that public world.

1 comment:

  1. Nice work creating your own variation of Vito Acconci’s proximity piece! Also, as usual, you did an excellent job with your written statement. I especially enjoy the last paragraph through which you discuss the questions that came up in relation to your (and Acconci’s) performance.

    ReplyDelete