Monday, March 4, 2013

An Array of Music

I chose to map out one of my favorite songs by Shania Twain called Any Man of Mine. I knew from the start that I wanted to map out music because it is a big part of my life, it was just a matter of how to do so. Shania Twain is my favorite artist of all times so it was inevitable that the song I was going to choose was by her.

The way I constructed the image took a lot of thinking because I was very unsure about that part. What I finally came up with was assigning different colors and different shapes to different parts of the song. The blue horizontal stripes are the lyrics in the song and they are shown by swirls and the bigger the swirl the longer she held the duration of the note for each word. The pink circles are all the words in the song that rhyme. Not necessarily with each other, but the total amount of words that had a rhyming partner. The green lines that surround the pink circles are a representation of the beat of the main refrain of the song. The green lines on the sides are the basic beat of the rest of the song (before and after each chorus). The green squiggly line in the middle represents the violin solo in the song. The way the piece is set up as a whole is to show music as a whole. The green lines on the sides show music levels when sound is played and the blue horizontal lines act as sound waves passing by the screen.

I think my piece conveys a curious mood because at a first look its not clear what is going on and so you are really curious as to what is happening. Once the viewer realizes it is a piece based upon music then the image becomes more clear. I think the black background also adds to that curious mood, giving it a little bit of a psychedelic feel.

1 comment:

  1. Nice work experimenting with Adobe Illustrator to create a spontaneous response to your favorite song. I mentioned John Cage’s musical scores during your critique…
    here are some examples, but if you just google “John Cage’s scores”, you will find more!

    ReplyDelete