Thursday, February 7, 2013

Social Commentary/Critique Assignment

My idea for this project is to show how technology has taken us away from what is going on in the physical world around us. Technology can be both our friend and our enemy; its all about how we the consumers decide to use it.

This really interests me because when the smart phones first started coming out my friends got one way before I did and they would always be on it. I could be in the middle of talking to my friend and they would be on their phone the whole entire time. When I would finish talking they would say "what?" I would get so angry to the point where I wouldn't hang out with them as often. Now that I have a smart phone I see how easy it is to get distracted, but I still respect a person enough to put my phone down when they are talking to me. It just amazes me how something so little can distract you from something so big(the world).

Visually, I want to show a human figure walking while she is on her iPhone. She is so focused on her phone that she doesn't even realize that she is about to walk into a building that is currently burning to the ground or some sort of harmful event. I was also thinking of having this ordinary girl on her iPhone walking down the street and not even noticing that she is surrounded by celebrities just walking past her.

I plan on using preexisting imagery to make a parody in order to not violate copyright law. The iPhone (smartphones) are supposed to be there to be the most helpful and convenient inventions of technology, yet this girl is about to get herself killed because she is on it. Smartphones are suppose to keep you up to date on the latest news of what's going on virtually anywhere, yet this girl is passing every celebrity she knows and loves while she is looking up what they are currently doing on twitter.

I have been greatly inspired by Martha Rosler. First, I really love her work overall. It really interests me! Her idea of representing what is going on in the current world around us and also the idea of what is expected out of us in today's society (including looks) is great material to create artwork around. This made me think of how it is expected of us to have most technology that is out on the market right now. You are expected to have a computer, laptop, cell phone, t.v. and so on. Not only are we expected to have a cell phone, but now a smartphone. Expectations are continuing to grow and, at least with technology, the more we are expected to have, the more we will become separated from the real world.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kathleen,
    Excellent idea! I think you would really enjoy this documentary on PBS in relation to the ideas you bring up: Digital Nation. It is a few years old, but still very relevant. As far as appropriation, think about which images might emphasize your point (for example, maybe the girl on the phone is from a particular advertisement for iphones or maybe she is a recognizable public figure that is supposed to engage others in conversation). I am glad that you enjoyed Martha Rosler's work-- I am going to see her speak on Thursday in NYC!

    ReplyDelete