Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Never Settled- Abstracting Place Assignment


 For this project I couldn't let myself commit to one specific place even though that was part of the assignment. I filmed the city of Athens (Ohio University) and also the city Mansfield (OSU). So I guess I could say my focus was Ohio if I wanted to list one place. The reason why I couldn't just pick one place is because I don't feel settled in one place. I travel every weekend; I visit my friends at other colleges, spend the weekends in OSU Columbus, or I go back home. My weeks are spent here in Mansfield. Who I am is not in one place, not even my room because half of my belongings are back home and at other friends dorms. It just made sense for me to tape more than one setting.

I was very attracted to the outdoors and everything it entails because it reminds me of traveling, which is what I am constantly doing. Nature is beauty within itself so I didn't manipulate the footage much at all. Besides brightness and contrast all I did was change the opacity, which I believe worked out quite well. Keeping it's natural feel allowed the final piece to be relatable to others since it is more realistic. The overall tone of this piece was more sad than happy. I really liked that it turned out that way; it was mainly due to the way the weather has been lately, but it adds to what I am trying to get across. The sounds also add that iridescent feeling that comes along with the visual. Without the sound I think this piece could have a much different feel to it.

Travel can carry many things along with it. It has its losses and gains, which can end up being good and also bad. Connections are made, they are lost. Friends are made, they are lost. Every time you end up in a new place the only person you know is yourself. The start is always hard and so is the end. It's not one of those things that gets easier the more times you do it; that never happens. Yet, there is always that excitement of "what's going to happen next." I think this piece conveys that pretty well.  

1 comment:

  1. Nice work emphasizing the transition between places and using sound and imagery to create a sense of anticipation.

    ReplyDelete